A different creative project each week…from children's parties to sewing curtains

Monday 8 April 2013

Reversible Headbands

These are my two beautiful girls wearing some pretty hairbands I made them. 

This quick and easy sewing project is perfect for using up your pretty scraps of fabric. I had so much fun with this project that I have made several of them already this week and have no intention of limiting the use of them just to the children!


You will need three different patterned fabrics all 30cm long and 10cm wide. In using different patterns you have the option of reversing the final headband to either pattern.

Place two of the lengths of fabric with the patterns facing each other and pin them together.

I used a piece of card 15cm long that I folded lengthways and cut out a template (see the picture). Then I traced around the template, sewed over the long sides leaving each end open. Then I trimmed the sides and turned the whole thing the right way around.

You can see from this photo that I then sewed over the sides again with a 2mm border. This allows the band to rest well on the head, but it is not essential.

Do remember to leave the ends open.


Fold the final length of fabric in half with the pattern facing each other sew down the 30cm length. This should be the width of the elastic you intend to use. 

Unfortunately this photo does not show it very well as I cut the fabric after sewing it. Don't be confused, but instead stick to the instructions above.




Turn the tube the right way around and insert the elastic.

Carefully turn the end of your headband into itself and insert the end of the elastic and tube (see the photo) and sew firmly into place.

 
Scrunch the tube over the elastic and measure the headband on your head and mark it where you want the the band to join the elastic.

Cut the elastic to the right length and repeat the above process so that you have your completed headband.


I haven't done a great job at conveying how easy this project is. In fact there was a morning last week when I managed one of these before breakfast so that one of my daughters had something to match her outfit for the day!

Do have a go and let me know how you get on...

No comments:

Post a Comment