A different creative project each week…from children's parties to sewing curtains

Monday 4 November 2013

Thanksgiving Poster



In England we don't often celebrate Thanksgiving, but this year I have felt challenged to use the month of November to be thankful for the many good things in my life.

This is a simple idea to encourage my family to be intentionally thankful during this Thanksgiving season.



I bought a sheet of A1 water colour paper from Hobby Craft for a couple of pounds.

Then I wrote out the words 'give thanks' on my computer, changed the font to 'Charter black' and enlarged the print to 270 character.

Once you are satisfied with the size and shape of your letters select 'font' on the toolbar and if you have the 'outline' facility press this before printing.


Now your letters are printed carefully cut them out and lay them on your watercolour paper as you wish.

I have just gone straight across the middle making sure the spacing is equal.

Draw lightly around your letters with pencil and then remove the paper letters.



You are now ready to begin painting.

I used a small brush that I dipped in water and carefully covered the first letter with a small amount of water.



Then I added in watercolour paints. I have started with red and purposely made some sections of the letter darker and others lighter. I did this by using more or less water to dilute.


Once you are happy with the amount you have covered your letter with the first colour begin to introduce another colour.

At this stage I only want one other colour so I use an orange to fill in the rest of the gaps.
On the second letter I begin with the orange colour, covering half of the space before introducing a yellow shade to finish it off.
On the second word, I am ready to apply a cooler colour scheme.

Starting with a light blue, then adding purples and more blues you can change the colours of your letters quickly and dramatically.



The colours I have picked are attempting to travel through the rainbow, but with a deliberate attempt to return to the warmth of the reds and oranges by the end of the words. 






Here is the picture, which is hung by our front door as a constant reminder to be thankful. But it is also there to allow our family and visitors to write or draw things they are thankful for all around these words.

Why don't you spend this month making a Thanksgiving poster and write down as many things you are thankful for as you can!





Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, His love endures forever! Psalm 136:1

No comments:

Post a Comment